So tonight I decided to try something a little different and discovered this recipe online for how to make pizza’s using eggplant. When I took Pete Cohen’s nutritional profile, it stated that Eggplant should be part of my diet. So much so that it was number 1 on my Top 20 Superfoods! And you know what? I’ve never made eggplant. I’m not implementing the nutritional program yet as I am going to take the weekend to really digest all of the information in it but decided to make eggplant.
As an added bonus, this recipe is TOTALLY kid friendly and you can get help making dinner.
I didn’t love any of the recipes I found, so I made my own:
2 tbs olive oil
4 oz tomato sauce
1/3 lb Canadian bacon
1/2 cup mushrooms
1 cup shredded cheese
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
1 Italian seasoning
1. Pre-heat over to 350 degrees
2. slice eggplant into roughly 1/2 inch slices trying to keep them uniform
3. drizzle with olive oil and place on a baking sheet
4. sprinkle with sea salt and put in over for roughly 30 minutes
6. add toppings – finishing with cheeses
7. turn oven to broiler and put the “pizzas” back in until the cheese is melted and slightly browned.
8. Our pizzas had Canadian bacon, mushrooms and cheese but your options are limitless!
And got rave reviews from my toughest critics:
9. This could easily be made into a vegetarian meal as well
What veggie have you added to your kitchen arsenal? How’d it go over with the kids/ family?